Friday, August 10, 2012

Just how important is your car handbrake?

I have to be honest.....I don't think about my handbrake, I don't use my handbrake and, to be perfectly honest, had to go look to see where it was in my car.


In doing research for this topic I learned one thing about myself.....ooops.  I watched a video that a car rolled forward into a hotel because the handbrake failed.  (I am not attaching it to this because it just rolled toward the hotel and two guys were able to stop it...so this video doesn't give the "punch" that is needed for this subject....but keep reading..there is a video that does send the message).

I have been told that you need to check your handbrake a minimum of once a month..and like checking your tires it takes just a few seconds.
  1. Find an ISOLATED place (video will explain why I capitalized and bolded the word isolated) and park your car on an incline. 
  2. Lift on the handbrake.  The handbrake should engage within a few clicks.  (If you do not know what "clicks" are....welcome to my world).
  3. If the handbrake takes too long then you need to get the cable and rear calipers checked by a mechanic.
It's that simple....so the next time you find yourself near an incline, with no possible chance of hurting anyone (or yourself....this video will explain that comment) test your handbrake.  The video is pretty boring for the first minute so if you need to forward it...the excitement happens about one minute 20 seconds into the video.)

Please like Colorado Car Wreck | Your Auto Injury Clinic on Facebook or visit their website.






No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?