Saturday, August 25, 2012

Common myth about cars: Part 3

Myth No. 3: Change your oil every 3,000 miles.





Not only are gas prices rising....but now they want us to get an oil change "service" every 3,000 miles.  It would cost less to quit your job and stay home than it does to drive your car anymore. 

I have to admit.....I have fallen for this one.  I never went more than 3,500 miles before an oil change...and it never failed every time I went in I needed a new air filter, oil filter, etc. and I fell for it.  (I think they took my air filter and ran it in leaves before they showed me)  Honestly, pound the stuff out, run a hose through it and it's clean....but no, I fell for it and paid (too much) for it.

Even though changing your oil every 3,000 miles won't hurt your vehicle....it will hurt your pocketbook.  Modern vehicles generally recommend an oil change every 7,000-8,000 miles. 

There are some synthetic oil that claim you can go 15,000 miles between oil changes (I couldn't do that...I would start to panic around 10,000 miles).

What should you do?  Follow your vehicle's manual for the recommended miles for an oil change.  (who thought that book in the glove box had so much information).

Please like Colorado Car Wreck | Your Auto Injury Clinic on Facebook or visit their website.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?