Saturday, January 19, 2013

DMX: Injuries and pain that can change your life: Pinched nerve


All the injuries that come with being hurt in a car accident, hurt on the job or hurt playing your favorite sport.




We've discussed many injuries in previous blogs.  If you have missed any of them you can catch up by clicking here.

One of the most annoying injury you can receive is a pinched nerve.  One of the most common symptoms of a pinched nerve is the "asleep" feeling that your hands or feet feel.  When you sit on your feet, incorrectly, when you stand up your foot tingles.  The nice thing about this is it will eventually go away.  When you have a pinched nerve what is causing the problem is internal.  According to WebMD:  
"The term pinched nerve describes one type of damage or injury to a nerve or set of nerves. The injury may result from compression, constriction, or stretching. Symptoms include numbness, "pins and needles" or burning sensations, and pain radiating outward from the injured area. One of the most common examples of a single compressed nerve is the feeling of having a foot or hand "fall asleep." Pinched nerves can sometimes lead to other conditions such as peripheral neuropathy, carpal tunnel syndrome, and tennis elbow. The extent of such injuries may vary from minor, temporary damage to a more permanent condition. Early diagnosis is important to prevent further damage or complications. Pinched nerve is a common cause of on-the-job injury."
So what can be done about a pinched nerve?
Picture borrowed from www.necksolutions.com

Collars and splints are the "easiest" way to treat a pinched nerve.  Physical Therapy is time consuming but should be your first course of action for a pinched nerve.  If collars, splints and Physical Therapy are not working it may be time to to look into corticosteriods.  I do want to mention that I received a corticosteriod injection and it actually it worse and added other symptoms to my list of problems.  If none of the above is working it may be suggested to you for surgery.  I looked into surgery and choose not to have it.  Some days I wish I had chosen the surgery but most days I am happy with my decision.  Here's what helped me make that decision:  There is no guarantee that it will correct your problem.  Some of these injuries are irreversible.  To be fair I was given a 95% chance of success but when I fell into the 2% of corticosteriods injection will make it worse I decided the odds were against me with my injury.  I spend each day doing some type of physical therapy and trips to the chiropractor to assist on those bad days.  As I am writing this my hand is "tingling" and has that feeling of being asleep.  I have learned to live with the occasional "asleep" feeling and recognize when I need additional treatment.

Each situation is different.  Each person is different.  Each pinched nerve is different.  Find a Doctor you respect and work together on what your treatment options are.  Don't ignore the situation as this could lead to other complicating issues as discussed earlier.  Get treatment soon and discuss all of your options.  Knowledge is Power!

If you are going to a Doctor that still uses the standard x-rays your injuries may be missed.  What happens when injuries are missed...you are treated WRONG.  Often times your symptoms are treated and not the injury.  

Digital Motion X-Rays (DMX) can find injuries that the standard x-rays miss.  When you have DMX your injuries are discovered sooner which means your injuries are treated sooner....not just treating the symptoms!  


Don't settle for the old X-rays....choose Digital Motion X-Ray!  

Please like Colorado Car Wreck | Your Auto Injury Clinic on Facebook or visit their website.

Dr. Jere Sutton of the Colorado Car Wreck is a Board Certified Orthopedic Surgeon

1 comment:

  1. Hello there! This blog post could not be written much better!
    Looking through this post reminds me of my previous roommate!
    He always kept talking about this. I most certainly will
    send this information to him. Pretty sure he will have a good read.

    Thank you for sharing!

    Also visit my weblog; repeated strain injuries

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?