Sunday, September 30, 2012

Renting a car


Can I add the collision damage waiver to your rental?  






Talk about a hard sale.  Every time I have rented a car this question gets asked and my response is ALWAYS no.  (Okay not always no because when I'm in Mexico I will purchase "their insurance" but that is a whole different story).  

When I say no I get the "but if you are involved in a car accident and you don't purchase the CDW you will be 100% responsible for the damages.  Okay, answer is still no. 

 "Are you sure?  I would hate to see you be responsible for the entire amount of damages when, for just an additional $30.00 per day (estimate) you could be covered completely."  
Seriously?
Answer still NO!!

Here is why:  My insurance policy has comprehensive and collision coverage which follows me when I rent a car (as long as I stay within the coverage territory...usually the United States which is why I buy the insurance in Mexico).  My insurance comprehensive and collision will act the same with my rental car as it would in my personal car.  

Now, I don't "trust" insurance companies....they are a necessary evil in my book.  I know if I do rent a car and, knock on wood it doesn't happen, get into a car accident.....the insurance company is going to deny, delay and defend (the 3 D's as it is commonly referred to).  

What is my backup plan?  I put the rental car on a credit card that offers protection and coverage if I put the entire rental car transaction on that card.  Many credit cards offer this so check with your card to see if you are protected.  

Now you KNOW, so just say NO.  



Knowledge is Power!

Please like Colorado Car Wreck | Your Auto Injury Clinic on Facebook or visit their website.

1 comment:

  1. A luxury watch may be purchased for multiplicity of reasons,
    personal satisfaction, gift for a friend, treasured keepsake,
    present for a special someone or an heirloom set aside with thoughts of the passing generations.
    If the wrist watch is somewhat unique, expect that you have to pay a big amount of money for it.
    o Band: A metal bracelet, leather strap, or even a rubber band.
    Also visit my web-site casio watch

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?